Accidents are scary and often times it is hard to know what you should do if you are ever involved in one. It is important to keep your composure after the accident and take a few steps to ensure all the facts of your accident are documented. What you do immediately after the accident can greatly impact how much you recover for your injuries and for your bike.
Here are some simple steps to help you after the accident.
USE YOUR PHONE! You may not have a pen and paper, but get your phone out and use our free app to record notes, take pictures and collect all the data you will need. Download our app!
Call the Police and Get An Accident Report.
- It is vital to get a police accident report. The police will document many aspects of the scene that will be important as your case progresses.
- Sit tight and don’t disturb the accident scene. Try to preserve everything as-is and if you have to move something snap a picture of it before you move it.
- If there is no police report then it is your word against theirs.
- Even if you aren’t injured get a report.
- Many people don’t realize they are hurt until hours later.
- While you wait get as much information as possible
- Be sure to get your version of the event in the accident report. Report all your injuries, even if minor as they may develop into more serious conditions later.
Get Information –Download our app!
The best and easiest way to get all the information you will need is to have our app on your phone before you are in an accident. It is free! (more info.)
- Obtain Driver and Witness Contact Information
- Name of the automobile driver, address, phone number, driver’s license number, vehicle license number, and insurance information.
- Witness Information
- Names and contact information for everyone who witnessed the accident. (Police report may not include this information)
- If you can’t get this on your own ask someone to get it for you.
Document Your Side of the Story
- What happened and What Your Injuries Are
- What happened
- How it happened
- Where it Occurred
- Other Conditions
- Road conditions, traffic, weather, lights or stop signs etc…
- Record Your Injuries
- Take photos if you can of your injuries and start a photo journal documenting the progress of them.
- Seek medical attention. Even if minor to get an accurate record and description of your injuries.
Contact Our Office
- Many accidents between bikes and cars involve complex legal issues.
- You need personal injury attorney who understands bicycling and who has handled bike accident cases.
- Once you contact us we will handle all the details of your case allowing you to get back to your life.
Other Important Issues:
- Don’t negotiate with the driver. Many drivers initially apologize and accept blame, only to later deny their negligence. Getting a police report will document the incident from a neutral 3rd party. This information will be very helpful in negating with their insurance company who will attempt to deny responsibility.
- Preserve Evidence. Don’t get your bike fixed, wash your clothes, send your helmet to be fixed or replaced. Keep all evidence in it’s original state until your attorney advises you otherwise. This can be very valuable evidence for your case.
- Don’t negate with the insurance company. They have hired big guns to negotiate you down and get you to take the bare minimum. Are you a professional negotiator? They have professionals on their side so should you!